Start Date: March 2017
In Store Mentor: Sales Director, Matt Smith
What surprised you the most about your role now, that you’ve been in it for a while?
- I was surprised to see how many people you rely on. It is more a team focused environment than just me on my own. I learned to really trust those that I work with. There are a lot of people from the Tech who work on the cars, the porters who run the cars throughout the shop, the detail team who washes the cars and the cashiers who check out the customer. It’s a lot of people and we all work together as a team to get the job done.
- I like that I wasn’t thrown into the fire, I was given the opportunity to learn and grow without feeling overwhelmed. We always have numbers to achieve but my one on ones with my managers never focused on the numbers that much. The focus with my manager was on how I can better my techniques and improve my interactions with my customers.
What is the biggest joy you get out of your day?
- I love to see techs fired up when a big job comes in. I know they rely on me to keep work flowing so they can earn their paycheck. I like to see them “stoked” and appreciative of the work.
How does it feel to come to work every day?
- There is of course pressure to hit numbers, but everyone in the department is super nice and gets along with each other. When I need help, it’s always around me. Taking the service position, after working in Sales for so long, I can now understand both sides better and it gave me a unique perspective on the car dealership.
Timeline & Progression
- March 2017 to May 2018: Fleet Assistant/Product Specialist
- May 2018 to July 2018: Service Greeter
- August 2018 to September 2018: Service Writer Trainee
- October 2018: Service Advisor Trainee
- November 2018 to Current: Service Advisor @ BMW & Mini
What should future candidates know about Bob Smith?
- If you show up and work hard, you can reap the rewards here. If you put the effort in, you’ll see the rewards and advance yourself to wherever you’d like.